Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gwendolyn MacEwen Park Reopening Written Up

For the last little while I have watched the gradual transformation of the tiny, circular park at Walmer and Lowther.
Gwendolyn MacEwen Park, named after the poet and lifelong Toronto resident, is now quite a lovely space, surrounded by one of the city's only traffic roundabouts. I don't know if I'd sit there, with vehicles circling me as I "relaxed," but it's adds beauty to our urban landscape, there is no doubt about that.
I told you about the park's reopening ceremony and now it's been written up on Torontoist in an interesting article that is colourful, though it might irk a few people to hear the Uno-Prii-designed edifices on Walmer described as "the tacky sixties apartment buildings that now rise like bouffants on either side of the street."

Here is an excerpt from a MacEwen poem, Let Me Make This Perfectly Clear:
"Do not think for one minute it is the Poem that matters.
Is is not the Poem that matters.
You can shove the Poem.
What matters is what is out there in the large dark
and in the long light,
Breathing."

Vanessa

No comments: